The Beauty of Focusing
perhaps you would like to just pause …
for a moment …
With Focusing we create a space for new possibilities in all aspects of our living. You can develop a bodily feel for the ‘more’ that is happening in any situation. From this bodily feel you will experience many small steps and find yourself making the changes in your life that bring you closer to your heart’s desire.Focusing was developed by Gene Gendlin and his colleagues at the University of Chicago. Those of us who teach Focusing through the Vancouver Thinking in Movement Studio are honored to be part of a community of more than 1,000 certified Focusing teachers from 40 countries.
Focusing was developed by Gene Gendlin and his colleagues at the University of Chicago. Those of us who teach Focusing through the Vancouver Thinking in Movement Studio are honored to be part of a community of more than 1,000 certified Focusing teachers from 40 countries.
There are many different schools of Focusing. The foundation of our teaching at Thinking in Movement Studio is four-fold:
- Inner Relationship Focusing (IRF), a step wise syllabus created by Ann Weiser Cornell and Barbara McGavin.
- Meditative Listening, a Focusing style developed by Rob Foxcroft.
- Active Pause (AP), an extension of Focusing pioneered by Serge Prengel
- Focusing with the Spirit-body and Gestural Leads as developed by Glenn Fleisch
“Space, for us, is always a result,
an “in” that is generated by a sequence.
Any sequence goes on in its own generated space.“
– Eugene Gendlin, A Process Model, 1997, page 242
- Focusing Studies and Workshops
- Listening Circles & Resources
- Focusing Philosophy & Dreams
- IN LOVING MEMORY GENE GENDLIN (1926-2017)
Writings: Katarina Halm
Recent Blog Posts
- Ellen Soloway ~ Seeing beyond your limitations: Arlington, Virginia. Nov. 3 & 4, 2018
- NEW! Fall 2018 Study in APM with Neil Dunaetz
- ‘Ecstatic Expression in Song’ June 29, 2018
- Acture: Influences of Your Ribs, Diaphragm, and Spine Advanced Training with Ellen Soloway
- David Kaetz possible workshop date!
The name of this website is from “Thinking in Movement”, chapter 12 in the book Primacy of Movement, expanded 2nd edition 2011, by Maxine Sheets-Johnstone.The terms Feldenkrais, Awareness Through Movement, and Functional Integration are registered service marks in Canada of the Feldenkrais Guild of North America (FGNA); Bones for Life™ is a registered trademark of Ruthy Alon; Pregnant Pauses™ is a registered trademark of Alan Questel; SOUNDER SLEEP SYSTEM™ is a registered trademark of Michael Krugman; Yamuna Body Rolling® is a registered trademark of Yamuna Zake
Telephone: 604-263-9123 (in Canada)
Katarina Halm, M.A., GCFP, CFT
* Feldenkrais® Method of Somatic Education; Former Canadian Co-Rep and Co-Secretary-Treasurer (2012-2017)
* Inner Relationship Focusing: basic studies and teacher certification training in collaboration with a certifying coordinator
* Movement Intelligence (MI) Trainer: certification training in the five MI branches: (1) Bones for Life® (2) Chairs (3) Walk for Life (4) Mindful Eating (5) Solutions for Optimum Mobility
* Pregnant Pauses™
* Sounder Sleep System™
* Yamuna Body Rolling®